Saturday, September 16, 2006

Following Through

Well, I finished my first book ever. And now I realize I am in the critical following through phase. Any one who's played in any sport knows that if you don't follow through the ball ain't goin' to go where you want it too. Don't ask me how I know that.) I met the goal and was pumped, but immediately fell off the mountain and haven't written. ARRRGH!!! So It's back to my schedule. I have managed to make some Business Cards (a major undertaking that had me ready to stomp on the computer. I will go and have them made from now on. But I do have enough to take to the ACFW conference.) And I made up my one sheets for Golden Dreams and my next book -- Bounty. My awesome father- in-law sent me a check for finishing my book. He's an awesome man of God and I am truly blessed to have him. Jim is visiting him this weekend and he took a copy of my book (the raw unedited version no less) and Jim told me today that his dad stayed up late and finished it. AND liked it.!!! WEll, enough for my update. Back to the schedule. Oh almost forgot. you know I left Egypt when I quit my job. But I hate to tell you Pharoah and his armies are hot on my tail. However, I take great Joy in remembering that the children of Israel also heard the enemy behind them. But God did not leave them. He made a way through the Red Sea so they could escape. So I am looking forward and sticking to what God has called me to do. I am not looking back, but straight ahead. Onward to the next book. . .

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Kaye Dacus said...

Patricia--
Good for you on finishing your first manuscript! I remember when I finished my first complete four years ago--what a feeling of elation . . . and some let-down, too. It looks like you've given yourself about a month to go through what basically amounts to post-partum depression--yes, I believe should any university decide to do a study of what happens to writers after we finish our first complete manuscript, they would find a very real psychological condition very similar to what a woman experiences after giving birth--the good and the bad. But it is good to give yourself a break from writing, and especially a break from your manuscript before entering the revision processs. Setting it aside allows you to come back to it with fresher eyes and more objectivity.

Now your "baby" is ready for her first day of school. It's time for "mommy" to let go and "teacher" to take over. Although it was with my fourth completed manuscript, I learned that I enjoy the process of revising more than writing the first draft! It's the time to make the characters and story sparkle.

Happy Writing!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Steve Miller said...

I agree. like getting past the first draft, cuz then the editor side of my life gets to roll up his sleeves and start working. Since the editor is stronger than the writer side, this is a good thing. It's getting that first draft down that's the hardest.

BTW, Anne Lamotte (sp?) says the same thing. If you get a chance, pick up her book Bird by Bird.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat--
I know that "The End" let down as well. But Kaye is right, you need to allow the mss to rest a while before you get back into it.

Use this time to plan your next story, or think about what you'd might need to change. The editing process seems to take more energy and time than just writing it.

I used to hate the editing, but I'm growing more fond of it. This is the time to make your scenes and character's sparkle and to get to know them better.

This is when it starts to really get exciting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home